Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In and Out of Uruguay in 24 Hours




After finally an affordable last minute ferry to Colonia, Uruguay, Susan and I crossed Rio de Plata and got one more stamp on our passports. It felt very much like taking a trip to Put-In-Bay or Mackinac Island. You go into a nice little port town, hop on a ferry, take a scenic trip, and then you land in quaint little Colonia where everyone is on vacation and therefore, in an excellent mood.

We took the slowest (and therefore cheapest) option, so we had both a boat ride through the Rio de Plata delta, which was gorgeous... well the first twenty minutes were at least, we slept for the majority of the journey. We landed in Las Palmiras and then took a shuttle to Colonia. The shuttle ride made us wonder if we had taken a ferry back to the midwest... it was through corn fields, hay fields, and there were pine trees and non-tropical trees. It was beautiful. We finally got into Colonia early afternoon.

We had a pretty lazy day eating, walking, laying around on the beach, and swimming in the river, which was more like a bay. From the beach, we had a late waterfront dinner and strolled through the historic area and the docks. I really liked the feel of the town, mostly because like I said, the vibe was similar to the Great Lakes Islands, which I love.

The next morning, we made a valiant attempt to get up to see the lunar eclipse, but failed miserably. The owner of our hostal told me that if I got up and could have a bike back before breakfast, he wouldn't charge me for the rental, so that's what I did. While Susan ran, I went on a bike ride along the coast. After breakfast we took a speed tour of the historic district before Susan had to be at the dock for her 11:15 ferry... I had another hour of which I spent napping on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment