Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Adventures in Dining






Yesterday was the first day of a week-long Peruvian food festival being held in Lima. I had a light dinner on Monday night and skipped breakfast on Tuesday to make room for what was bound to be an overwhelming amount of food. There were about seven people in our group, a couple of French guys, some Germans, two from the States, and a Peruvian to make sure we ate all the right stuff. Each person bought one plate to share with the group. We started off with a crab soup (the name escapes me), Pachamanca, Ceviche, Cuy, Chorritos, an Amazonian dish that I forget the name of, and Tacu Tacu del Diego. It was all sooo good! Pachamanca is a meat, corn, potatoes, and bean dish cooked in the ground, Ceviche is raw fish in a highly acidic sauce that cooks it about half way, Cuy is guinea pig, Chorritos are a shell fish topped with onions and tomatoes, the Amazonian dish was a mix of plantain and rice with ham, and Tacu Tacu del Diego is a rice and bean paste that was topped with aji sauce and octopus. It was all delicious! Guinea pig wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't bad either. My favorite new things I tried were probably Tacu Tacu del Diego and Chorritos, and the Ceviche there was the best I've ever had! I've spent my entire life saying that I don't like seafood... I think I just haven't been eating the right seafood!

After we were done eating, we went to check out the chocolate are and endulged in many a free sample.

When were done eating, it was time to move on to sample all the different pisco puros (it's kind of like whiskey), pisco mixed drinks, rums, and wines.

I went to bed last night very full and very happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment