Sunday, September 19, 2010

Worldwide: Twenty-somethings can't measure up to Mom's cooking

Last night, we had a potluck at my friend Corinna's house. There were people from France, Germany, The Netherlands, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru. I was one of two people reppin' the USA. We were all supposed to bring a dish from our countries. I figured what's more American than hamburgers and pie? Hamburger pie! It was an amazing feast and we all thought we were going to burst after eating so much food. I also learned that in France, quiche is a dinner eaten with salad, not a breakfast like we eat it in the States. Jules was actually quite appalled when I told him that we love eating quiche for breakfast!

While we were all eating and complimenting everyone's dish, everyone would say "gracias, pero no es como la de mi mama" "Thank you, but it's not like my mom's" All around the world, moms have set a standard in the kitchen that is impossible for us to achieve. I added 'love' to my ingredients when we were writing out the recipes of all the dishes with a little side note that said "siempre cocina con amor" "always cook with love"... just like you taught me, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment