Thursday, November 11, 2010

Altitude sickness is real

Everyone warned me about altitude sickness in Cusco, but having been at altitude before, I wasn't too concerned. The saying is "Tienes que comer poquito, caminar despacito y dormir solito" (You have you eat little, walk slow, and sleep alone) I followed all those instructions, but still was taken over by the altitude.It is real and it's horrible. All day yesterday, even walking up the stairs from the lobby of our hotel to our room would leave me winded, not to mention the hilly streets around town.

I thought I was drinking a sufficient enough of mate de coca (coca leaf tea), but apparently not. Instead of taking a city tour, dad took a nap and I went to get a massage, which did make me feel good for a while. Everything really hit me after dinner. We had a delicious pizza and vino caliente, then walking home I suddenly felt like I was going to die (more so than earlier, even). I spent about an hour in bed tossing, turning, and shaking before projectile vomiting. Dad went out and got me some Inka Cola and water, and the guy at the front desk of our hotel gave me some altitude sickness tablets. Between all of those, I felt well enough to sleep and I woke up today feeling as if nothing ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment