Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fiesta en Chincha



My buddy Kalle invited me and my friend Kim to his friend's birthday party in Chincha, which is about three hours south of Lima. I have never been to a birthday party like this one. It lasted two days and I felt like I was in an all-inclusive resort. We had an enormous amount of delicious food, more Cusquena that's humanly possible to consume, and band of criollo music to keep us dancing. On Saturday night, we left the house at around three to go to a discoteca and came back when the sun was rising. Sunday, the day continued with music, relaxing with Cesar's family, eating, and of course, more Cusquena and Pisco Sours. The family also enjoyed having people from Germany, Holland, and The United States over and made it very clear that we are always welcome to stay there if we come back to Chincha.

The birthday celebration was very different than any birthday party I've been to in the States. Cesar, who's birthday it was, had to dance with all the women in his family, his father gave a speech, and he too had to give a speech. It all felt very formal. There was also a photographer present taking tons of group photos and recording key moments of the party. All the Peruvians said it was a very typical way to celebrate a birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment