Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Huaca Pucllana Day 1




I started my volunteer job at a local archaeology site, Huaca Pucllana today. It's only a 15 minute walk away from my house, so I'm in a really perfect situation! Today, the director just wanted me to get familiar with the sediment and types of artifacts that are typically found, so I was screening dirt. There were lots of fragments of adobe bricks, sea shells, botanicals, and ceramics. It was pretty cool. Later on, she wants me to organize and analyze the shells and fish bones in their collection and excavate! Anyways, it's a site from the Lima culture, whom little is known about. They were around from about 200 AD until 700 AD. Unfortunately, the city of Lima (which I adore) was built on top of the archaeology left by the Lima culture, but Huaca Pucllana, a ceremonial and administrative center as well as s tomb was not destroyed. On site, there are both excavations and restoration projects as well as a museum, gift shop, and restaurant. There's also a huge portion that hasn't been excavated yet (mound pictured on the right). I'm really happy to be working on an archaeological site here!

1 comment:

  1. Mary, that's so cool! I think I visited there too, but since I was 17 and didn´t really speak Spanish I didn´t properly appreciate it =P

    ReplyDelete