Thursday, August 19, 2010

School, Take 2

Before I get going on my day, Tessa told me that there's a Seinfeld episode about Peru. We hadn't seen it, so we got on YouTube. We could only find this clip, but it's a pretty funny one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pnr2gX97gs&feature=related

Despite waking up an hour late, I did much better at the whole school thing today. Tessa and I had Bio-huertos (gardening) at 8am and I'm gunna have to drop that one. It's super boring and if I drop it, I'll have time to pick up another shift at the Huaca Pucllana, the archaeological site I'm volunteering at. I think I'll get more out of that than a gardening class. And it's at 8am. The work day at Huaca Pucllana starts at 8 as well, but it's only a fifteen minute walk away as opposed to an hour bus ride.

After Bio-Huertos, I had Danza Moderna (Modern Dance), which was kind of a fail, but I can see this class being really fun, so I'm going to stick it out. The room was really hard to find and then when I finally did find it, I was the first on and so I waited in an empty classroom. All these alarms started going off and it was hard to tell the origin. In the DR, you could always hear car alarms and sirens going off from outside the university, so I didn't think anything of it. Turns out, this alarm was an earthquake drill and I got yelled at for sitting in the classroom and not being outside. During class, we had to an exercise where we told people how to dance and they had to do and then we had to make a performance to perform. Panicking at the beginning of the exercise, me and the other gringa paired up. We made our dance and it was pretty bad, but we weren't too stressed out because we missed the part when she said we would have to perform them for the class. We had to go first. We would've danced around up there like animals all day, but thank goodness the teacher stopped us.

After that, I made my way back home for an interview at the Huaca Pucllana. It went really well and I start work on Tuesday. She said she has a few other foreign volunteers for the semester, so hopefully I'll meet another archaeology nerd to travel around to different sites with me!

I had to go back to campus for the Cultura Popular Urbana (Urban Popular Culture) class from 6-9. Yes, 3 hours of urban pop culture. Thank goodness the prof. gives us breaks. On my way there, a little Andean girl came on the combi busking. She had an empty aluminum can and a hair pick that used to accompany her singing. While the whole thing was kind of heart breaking, she had a gorgeous voice and presented herself really well. Every person on the bus gave her some soles. I really enjoyed my class! I met some really nice Peruvian girls and we'll be working together for our group ethnography project. They said I spoke Spanish "super bien", which made me feel good.

The way home was an adventure! I should never be responsible for navigating Lima at night: all the street vendors I use as landmarks are gone! Anyway, I made my combi change (a little late, but it was ok) and then I got to ride in the front seat of my combi back to Miraflores! It was so exciting. Combis don't have noses that jut out, so we'd be schreeching up to a stop and I would get scared and think they would collide, but they never would! At one point, my combi driver got out and yelled at the combi driver next to us and then went to look at the back of his combi. I was nervous that something was going down that would take a long time, but when he came back he was shouting out destination again and high fived the driver he was previously yelling at. I don't know. Anyway, I made it home safely and it was kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment