Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My walk about of Miraflores and Barranco

I spent today walking around Miraflores and then Barranco. Lima is beautiful!

The Miraflores district of Lima is gorgeous! Super clean and lots to do in terms of shopping, restaurants, and dancing. It's considered the safest area of Lima and it's actually safer to walk at night than to take a taxi, which is weird for me because in the DR it wasn't safe AT ALL to walk at night. I'm just a couple minute walk away from the ocean. Today, the sun came out for a few hours and the ocean looked gorgeous, especially with all the cliffs. There were a ton of people surfing and a snorkeler. I was on top of a cliff, so I couldn't see the snorkeler very clearly, but he kept diving down -- maybe collecting shell fish? Tessa took me around the city today (she's been here a few days) and we went to Paque de Amor, Parque Kennedy, and then splurged on a cebiche (fish half cooked in a spicy, acidic sauce) lunch. Parque de Amor was really charming. It was full of mosaics with quotes and poems about love and couples' names. In the center, there was a fountain with a stone couple embracing on top. It had a beautiful view of the ocean, and as you could imagine, was full of young couples. Parque Kennedy was awesome, but for many different reasons. There were lots of gardens, people getting shoe shines, and just relaxing, but my favorite part was all the cats that live there! The park is full of these hilarious, some very fat, cats who live in the trees and people feed them. It was pretty awesome. The temperature was perfect today and yesterday, but it gets chilly at night.Lucia took me to the hauca where I'm going to be working for the semester. It's enormous! After I make my schedule for the university, I need to go back there to make my work schedule. I'm super excited about it!

Tonight, Alonso, one of my housemates, took Tessa and I took Barranco, which is where all the colonial buildings were. I was itching to dance so bad, but being that it's Tuesday, there wasn't too much of that going... or any. It was beautiful there though and while people weren't dancing, there were plenty of people out and about. Apparently Fridays and Saturdays it's completely alive!

I have orientation at the university in the morning... Tessa and I are taking a cab there and then we're going to give the bus system a whirl. I'll try and get some pictures up here tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment